Home Page
The Music Hall and Theatre History Website

 

Home - Index - Map - Forum - Contact

 

The Tottenham Palace Theatre of Varieties, High Road, Tottenham, N17

Later - The Canadian Cinema / Mecca Bingo / Jasmine Bingo

The Tottenham Palace Theatre during the run of 'Winner Take All' in 1924 - From a Brochure for The Bulman Cinema Screen Company.

Above - The Tottenham Palace Theatre during the run of 'Winner Take All' in 1924 - From a Brochure for The Bulman Cinema Screen Company.

 

Variety Programme for the Tottenham Palace in 1912 - Click to see Entire Programme.The Tottenham Palace was designed by Wylson & Long and opened on the 31st of August 1908. The auditorium was decorated in the Grecian style and was built on three levels, Stalls, Circle, and Balcony, with a stated capacity of 3,000, however this capacity is probably unlikely, the present capacity is a more realistic 1,500.

Right - A Variety Programme for the Tottenham Palace in 1912 - Click to see Entire Programme.

Detail of the Tottenham Palace in 2007 showing the 1908 inscription - Courtesy Jim GibbonsThe Tottenham Palace was built as a Music Hall and Variety Theatre but had a very short life as a live Theatre.

Left - A Detail of the Tottenham Palace in 2007 showing the 1908 inscription - Courtesy Jim Gibbons.

By 1922 the Theatre was already showing films and in November 1924 it became a full time cinema called the Canadian Cinema, using the back projection system, with the projection box situated on the former stage of the Theatre.

In January of 1926 the name reverted back to the Palace Theatre and a Wurlitzer Organ was installed, only the second in the country.

 

The Tottenham Palace - From a Programme 1912. The Tottenham Palace in 2007 - Courtesy Jim Gibbons

Above - The Tottenham Palace - From a Programme in 1912, and the Theatre in 2007 - Courtesy Jim Gibbons

 

Programme for 'Splinters of 1923' at the Tottenham Place Theatre in October 1923. Click to see Entire Programme.The Cinema was closed in June 1968 and the building was converted for Bingo use which ran successfully for many years until it was converted into a church in the late 1990s and called the Palace Cathedral.

Right - A Programme for 'Splinters of 1923' at the Tottenham Place Theatre in October 1923. Click to see Entire Programme. Splinters was a drag show which was formed by the forces in the first world war. In fact there was a film (British) made in 1929 which was called "Splinters." Reg Stone, who was an excellent female impersonator, starred in it and was also in the production this programme refers to. Information Courtesy Alan Rebbeck.

Despite all the changes of use and it's short life as a live Theatre the Tottenham Palace is still largely intact and readily convertible back to its intended use.

The Theatre is a Grade II Listed Building and the Theatres Trust says of the Tottenham Palace:-

'Now the only complete example in London of a theatre by the architects who rebuilt the Oxford Music Hall in 1893 (dem), built the Bath Palace of Varieties 1895, reconstructed the Blackpool Winter Gardens auditorium 1897, designed the first Brixton Empress of 1898 (dem) and reconstructed the interior of the London Pavilion 1900 (gutted).

One of the few surviving big suburban variety palaces (compare Hackney Empire) and, given a fair wind, a perfectly recoverable theatre.' - The Theatres Trust.

If you have any more information or images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.