The Teutonic Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool
Also known as - The Theatre of Varieties / St. James's Hall and Operetta House / Tivoli Theatre of Varieties / Palais De Lux Cinema
Above - Postcard showing Lime Street, Liverpool and Centre Left is the Palais De Lux Cinema. Also shown is the St. George's Hall Far Centre, and Far Right, is the 1912 Picture House (Later The Futurist Cinema,) and Centre Right, next door to the Picture House is The Scala Cinema.
This building was originally designed by Edward Tuton and opened in the late 1840s as the Teutonic Hall. However after only ten years the building was converted and split into two. On the ground floor was Allsopp's new Crystal Palace Waxworks whilst upstairs was a new version of the Teutonic Hall which showed Dioramas.
The building was again converted in 1859 and the top hall renamed the Theatre Variete. In 1863 the Charles Christy Minstrel Shows were staged here and became very popular. The Theatre also became home to regular theatre in 1865.
Left - The Palais De Lux Cinema, showing 'The Arts Of Humanity.'
The Theatre was destroyed by fire on the 2nd of May 1875 but the Waxworks below survived. Despite this the building was later converted into shops and an Oyster bar on the ground floor and a new Theatre was built above with a capacity of 1,000. This new Theatre opened on the 1st of May 1876 and retained the St. James's Hall name.
In 1886 the Hall was taken over by James Kiernan who had also run the Park Palace and the Paddington Palace. He set about converting the Theatre on a grand scale. The Tivoli Palace of Varieties opened on the 2nd of March 1896. On the Bill for the opening night was Marie Lloyd, engaged at considerable expense, and Harry King Lloyd, son of Arthur Lloyd.
The Tivoli only ran for two years however before it was closed and left empty until 1906 when Vesta Tilley's husband Walter de Frece completely rebuilt the Theatre to the designs of Bertie Crewe. It opened as the New Tivoli Theatre of Varieties on the 10th of December 1906 with a capacity of 1,500. This new Theatre had a troubled life from the start and before long was showing Bioscope pictures along with Variety and by 1907 it was showing films more often than live theatre.
By 1908 films were the main fair and by 1909 the Theatre had been renamed the Palais De Lux Cinema and was showing continuous films daily. The Cinema ran for 50 years and apart from two closures, one for a month in 1941 after bomb damage, and the second after a fire in 1951 from which the Cinema was modernised, it was very successful until it finally began to lose audiences and eventually closed for good in October 1959 and was demolished.
This information was gleaned from the excellent book 'The Liverpool Stage' by Harold Ackroyd.
If you have any images for this Theatre you are willing to share please Contact me.
Archive newspaper reports on this page were collated and kindly sent in for inclusion by B.F.
You may find the following pages from this site of interest: