Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

 

The Royal Victoria Music Hall, 234 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London

Later - The Royal Victoria Theatre

A Google StreetView Image showing the site of the former Royal Victoria Music Hall, Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green to the left of the image, and Victoria Park to the right - Click to Interact.

Above - A Google StreetView Image showing the site of the former Royal Victoria Music Hall, Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green to the left of the image, and Victoria Park to the right - Click to Interact.

The site of the Royal Victoria Music Hall today - Courtesy Nick Mowbray.The Royal Victoria Music Hall was situated on Old Ford Road opposite Victoria Park in Bethnal Green and started out as a Concert Hall next to the Royal Victoria Public House, opening in 1867. The Music Hall had seating for about 300 people and along with the Music Hall acts also served food and drink. The Landlord of the Royal Victoria Public House, William Scaddan, was also the chairman of the Music Hall, introducing the 'Turns'. However, in 1879 Joseph Bruton took over as the Pub's Landlord and also became the Music Hall's Chairman.

Right - The site of the Royal Victoria Music Hall today - Courtesy Nick Mowbray. A Plaque commemorating the Music Hall can be seen on the house next door to the site, and is enlarged below.

The Music Hall was closed down in 1887 when it failed new safety regulations. It was later sold to Constant van Hoydonck who rebuilt it and reopened it as the Royal Victoria Theatre in 1891.

A Plaque commemorating the Royal Victoria Music Hall, Bethnal Green - Courtesy Nick Mowbray.However, the Coffee Music Hall Company Ltd., who had recently taken over what is today known as the Old Vic but was then called the Royal Victoria Hall and Coffee Tavern, objected to the new name for the Bethnal Green Theatre as they thought it would confuse people and damage their business. Eventually Constant van Hoydonck relented under pressure from the authorities, who pointed out that he only had a Music Hall Licence and not a theatrical one, and so he renamed the Theatre with its former monicker of the Royal Victoria Music Hall.

Left - A Plaque commemorating the Royal Victoria Music Hall, Bethnal Green - Courtesy Nick Mowbray.

The Music Hall continued in operation under this name until it was finally closed in 1903. It then remained dark for years but was eventually put to use briefly as a Cinema in 1910 but this was short lived and it closed again in 1914. The building was afterwards used for many other purposes but none of them theatrical, and it was only finally demolished in 1985.

If you have any more information or Images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.

Other Pages that may be of Interest