Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

Celebrating Twenty Years Online 2001 - 2021

Savoy Super Cinema, Abbington Street, Northampton

Formerly - The ABC / Cannon Cinema - Later - The Jesus Centre / The Old Savoy and Deco Theatre

Northampton Theatres Index

A Google StreetView Image of the Old Savoy, Northampton, formerly the Savoy Cinema - Click to Interact.

Above - A Google StreetView Image of the Old Savoy, Northampton, formerly the Savoy Cinema - Click to Interact.

Theatreshire Books  - Click to View Inventory

The building currently known as the Old Savoy in Abbington Street, Northampton today was originally built as the Savoy Super Cinema, designed by William Riddell Glen, who was the in house architect for Associated British Cinemas (ABC) at the time. The Cinema opened as the Savoy Super Cinema on Saturday May the 2nd 1936 with a superb example of an Art Deco auditorium, which had a large capacity on two levels, Stalls and one curving Balcony, for 1,700 people. The Cinema was tripled in the early 1970s and became part of the Cannon Cinema chain in the 1980s.

The Cinema was closed in 1995 and was eventually purchased by the Jesus Army Charitable Trust who commissioned a report on the Cinema's history and architecture by the University of Leicester Archaeological Services in accordance with Northamptonshire Heritage and the Northamptonshire Borough Council before work on the building's conversion could begin. A record of this article on the building in PDF format is available here.

  • ORGAN CELEBRITIES - 33. Harold Nash
    ORGAN CELEBRITIES - 33. Harold Nash
  • Northampton Jesus Centre (Savoy/ABC cinema)
    Northampton Jesus Centre (Savoy/ABC cinema)
  • The Story of the Northampton Savoy
    The Story of the Northampton Savoy

Above - A visual record of the history of the Savoy Cinema, Northampton, and its organist Harold Nash by the Theatre's former projectionist Alan Ashton, A visual record of the history of the Savoy Cinema, Northampton, and its conversion into the Jesus Centre, and A Video on the History of the Jesus Centre, Northampton.

The Jesus Centre, Northampton, formerly the Savoy Cinema, in February 2012 - Courtesy Eve LivesleyIn 2003 construction began to convert the former Cinema, at a cost of £3m, into the Jesus Army Worship Centre. The original internal structure of the building was repaired and restored and although it was no longer a Cinema, the auditorium, which is Grade II Listed, was once again visible as Glen's fine Art Deco creation of 1936.

Right - The Jesus Centre, Northampton, formerly the Savoy Cinema, in February 2012 - Courtesy Eve Livesley.

At the time of updating this page in 2021 the Theatre had been reimagined again, this time into a multi purpose venue called The Old Savoy, a 'creative arts and community hub', with the auditorium now called the Deco Theatre producing live shows and pantos etc. The Deco is an independent family run business and you may like to visit their own Website for it here.

If you have any more information or Images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.

Other Pages that may be of Interest