Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

 

King's Theatre, Haymarket, Indentures 1793 and 1794

This page shows two separate Indentures, one dated the 24th of July 1793 and the other dated 10th of November 1794, which grant free admission to The King's Theatre or Opera House in the Haymarket on payment of sums which vary between £50 & £150 for fifteen year terms. The individual signatories include William Taylor, the owner of the Theatre, and other parties which include the names of William Moorland, Thomas Hammersley, John Park and George Grant.

After Queen Anne died Her Majesty's Theatre was renamed the King's Theatre, in 1714. The interior was remodeled in 1778 by the infamous Robert Adam, and then again in 1782, but less successfully, by Michael Novosielski. The Theatre burnt to the ground on the 17th of June 1789. The Theatre was then rebuilt, now on an enlarged site, but retained the former's name of King's Theatre. This Theatre was built by Michael Novosielski and opened on the 26th of March 1791 with a song and dance entertainment, and it is this Theatre that the Indentures are for.

Indentures - Courtesy John Davies.

An Indenture for the King's Theatre, Haymarket signed on the 24th of July 1793 - Courtesy John Davies.

Above - An Indenture for the King's Theatre, Haymarket, signed on the 24th of July 1793 - Courtesy John Davies.

An Indenture for the King's Theatre, Haymarket signed on the 10th of November 1794 - Courtesy John Davies.

Above - An Indenture for the King's Theatre, Haymarket signed on the 10th of November 1794 - Courtesy John Davies.

Return to Her Majesty's Theatre Page

Other Pages that may be of Interest