Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

 

The Ambassdor Cinema, Corner of Parnell Street and Parnell Square, Dublin

Formerly The Assembly Rooms / Rotunda Maternity Hospital complex

Dublin Theatres Index

The Ambassdor Cinema, Dublin during the 'Bodies' exhibition in March 2009 - Courtesy Des Kerins

Above - The Ambassdor Cinema, Dublin during the 'Bodies' exhibition in March 2009 - Courtesy Des Kerins

The Ambassdor Cinema is situated on the corner of Parnell Street and Parnell Square in Dublin. It was built in the 18th century as part of the Rotunda Maternity Hospital complex.

The circular Assembly Rooms opened in 1767 and was designed by James Ensor with later additions by Richard Johnston and James Gandon. This was to be a way of raising money for the Hospital as it was a charitable hospital and received no Government funding. When finished it was considered to be the finest circular room in the United Kingdom. It was used for concerts, musical evenings and exhibitions. It went through many different types of use and many different managements.

The Ambassdor Cinema, Dublin in March 2009 - Courtesy Des Kerins

Above - The Ambassdor Cinema, Dublin in March 2009 - Courtesy Des Kerins

Eventually the building became a cinema in the 1930's and so it has remained up to now in addition to being a venue for modern concerts and exhibitions.

Above Text and Images Courtesy Des Kerins.

Other Pages that may be of Interest